Saturday, August 13, 2011

One-Pan Dark Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookie

That's a real mouthful, isn't it? More often than not, we end up calling it "skillet cookie." Short, sweet, and to the point. I posted a recipe tutorial for the skillet cookie this past March, and I guess now I've officially begun the long reposting process. This will be the first recipe to be reposted...and it looks like a real job! I hope y'all don't mind if I kinda sorta copy and paste a little here. I don't have enough time to rewrite every single thing, and it sounded good the first time around! I'm assuming no one memorized the post word for word, so just act like you've never heard any of this before, and it'll all be good!

Especially the one-pan dark chocolate chunk skillet cookie.

I found this recipe on Tasty Kitchen and there is a wonderful blog post/tutorial here, but I thought I'd post one, too. I'd like to go ahead and say that when I see cooking tutorials with photography such as on the above link, or on Pioneer Woman, I think I'll just quit. There are obviously far more qualified and talented people to post recipe tutorials! I did see, however, that PW does edit her photos before posting on food. The only editing I ever do is to weed out the 8 million pictures you don't want to see...like the 14 blurry pictures I might take of adding 2 teaspoons of baking powder to a recipe. So, I have some excuse, at least. No Photoshopping here!

Wouldn't you know that a fancy dessert in our family would still be a chocolate chip cookie???! We needed dessert one night, and I wanted something different than the regular chocolate chip cookie, so I found this to dress it up a bit. I, of course, had all the staple (i.e. everything to make cookies) ingredients on hand, so I was happy. Not many things make me more aggravated than finding a recipe I really want to make and not having the stuff to make it! Every cook's worst nightmare, I believe. Ok, ok, so maybe this cook's worst nightmare was trying to feed church visitors (whom I was trying to impress, since I was the PK and they'd only been to church once) a roasted chicken that wasn't done...but that's a different story.

I started by melting 1/2 a cup (or a stick, if your butter comes in sticks, like normal folks' butter) in the skillet...


After that's melted, you can add 1/3 a cup of regular sugar, 1/3 a cup of brown sugar, and my signature SWIG (slug) of vanilla... (btw, the original recipe, and my first tutorial, called for 1/2 cup of each of the sugars, but everyone in my family thought it was too rich and sweet that way, so I cut it a little this time around)




Mix it up...


And let it cool until it's just warm... I let mine cool for a long time, because I was deathly afraid of making scrambled eggs in the next step. I can't think of anything worse than scrambled eggs in a chocolate chip cookie, but that's just me.

Now, you need 1 cup of chocolate. I guess you could use semi-sweet chocolate chips, but how boring would that be? And then it wouldn't be a chocolate CHUNK cookie, either. So, here's what I used...



You need 1 cup of chopped chocolate. Just a cup...no heaping allowed. =))


Just kidding. I encourage heaping. Now back to the cooled buttery, sugary, vanilla-y mix. Add 1 egg and mix well...


Now in goes 1 1/2 cups of flour, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt...




Mix all that in and then add that 1 cup (ahem) of dark chunky chocolate...


And looky here...when you stir it in, that other stuff is still a little warm, so the little shavings of chocolate melt a little, leaving you with a chocolate swirled dough. Oh my Goodness...YUM!!!!


And slip it into a preheated 350* oven for 15-25 minutes...it should be turning golden, but don't get it too done..it needs to be soft and gooey in the middle! Mine didn't cook quite long enough this time...Mom threatened me with bodily harm if I got the crust too crunchy (which I sorta like) so I erred on the side of gooey.


I don't know what happened here. Not at all. No clue. I didn't see anything. Weird.


We have to vanilla ice cream with our's...there really is a cookie wedge down in there somewhere...


This is SOOOO good! And so very easy, too...just mix everything up in the one skillet and then bake it in there. Tonight I think I'll make it with white chocolate chips (mom went shopping...I would've gotten white baker's chocolate) and macadamia nuts. Jut don't tell the boys.

Time to go...I'm going on a wild adventure with Dad and Dave.

Ok, so not really. We're going to load coal. Yay!!! I'll take my camera.  :D

5 comments:

  1. Yummy! So, did you make it with the white chocolate? I've tried it with the bits and the baking squares, and the squares do taste better. Besides, I think those chips have hydrogenated oil in them. Shame, shame. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made it with white chocolate and macadamias last night, and Mom and I loved it...but I think we were the only ones. The boys here fuss about nuts, and Dave doesn't like white choc. I don't know what's wrong with them! Do you put macadamia nuts in yours? I forgot...

    Oh, man....I LOVE hydrogenated oils! :-O

    Just kidding... =))

    I would like to try it with the baking squares sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't used macadamias yet, but I'd like to. I'm not normally one to like nuts in stuff, but I think this may be an exception.

    I don't know what's wrong those guys either. I love white chocolate. Most of the time I buy it, it never makes it into a recipe. I just eat it plain. I'm bad, I know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, very bad! I love white chocolate. I'd really love to find a high quality white chocolate bar to use...you know, I don't even think the chips were real...on top of being hydrogenated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. FWIW, the best chips I've had are Sunspire's. The best white baking chocolate is Baker's brand, but I haven't looked very far...

    ReplyDelete