Monday, October 24, 2011

Chocolate Ice Cream

I made chocolate ice cream one day last week, so I pulled up this old post. Sorry about the awful pictures...I didn't get new ones last week. You get the idea!

Other than last week, I don't remember the last time I made homemade ice cream. Our milk situation isn't quite the same as it used to be, and we usually don't have a lot of extra.

Here we go! This is my first batch of ice cream of the year! We wanted chocolate, so let’s do it!

2 cups of sugar… We are, regrettably, out of the cane sugar that we always use. I am thus reduced to using ordinary white sugar… (I used cane last week)


1 cup of cocoa!


1 Teaspoon of vanilla (or however much you want…like I do here!)


Mix well…


No..I said “mix well!” There…that’s better!


Now, we need 5 cups of milk. Start by adding about 1/2 cup to the dry mix, so that you can mix it smoothly. If you add all the milk at once, the cocoa won’t mix in smoothly, and you’ll have dry clumps of cocoa in your ice cream.



And a little more milk (still pouring from the 5 cups…just a little at a time)


NO!!! We’re out of milk! :(


Ha! Until we go out to the fridge on the porch and get some more… (this picture made me seriously depressed!)


That may be enough. Oh, and that’s Mom’s granola on the middle shelf!
Ok, now we need 3 cups of cream!


I’ll put in the 3 cups of cream, and then add either cream or milk to make the canister 3/4 full.


And that’s it! Now you can fuss with the ice cream freezer that doesn’t want to work right, after 4 months of dormancy. You know, a hypothetical situation. Or not…


Freeze until it’s done!


Yummy! (I wouldn’t know, it’s not like I tried it or anything. The very idea!!! :) )

I transfer it to a bucket and put it in the freezer for a while. Dad likes his ice cream insanely hard, so he doesn’t like it straight out of the ice cream freezer.


Ok, if you need to make sure you’ve got everything, here’s the recipe again…

2 cups sugar
1 cup cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
5 cups milk
3 cups cream


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment