Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Another Skillet

Mom has had this skillet forever. Well, maybe not that long, but still...

After I cleaned up the skillet I bought a few weeks ago, I decided I should clean this one up and re-season it. We use it all the time, for everything, so it was hard finding a time where there were a few days where we didn't need it!

Before:











It's a Lodge. Ick.

I cleaned it with the oven cleaner and re-seasoned it. I'm not too happy with how it turned out, but it's cleaner and looks better now, at least on the inside. It does have little pits inside, which I know isn't good, but I don't guess there's much I can do about that!

After:



I don't know why it looks rust-colored in the pictures...it's not at all!




I still have to tackle the four new ones I bought Saturday...

4 comments:

  1. We have a large Lodge skillet... what's wrong with Lodge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what I've read, the older cast iron is better. I guess all Lodges are newer and cheaper made, you know? That's why I'm trying to find old stuff that I can clean up instead of buying new ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see! That makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, I've only seen smaller ones at yard sales and rummage sales and things, and we needed a BIG one. So the Lodge will do. But it's good to know that the older ones are better if we can find them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I have yet to find one as big as our Lodge, to replace it. The one I bought a few weeks ago is about an 8 inch, I think, and the four I bought at the auction last week are all 8-10, somewhere around there. I guess our big Lodge is at least 12...if not bigger. We do use smaller ones a lot, since we don't have a microwave...good for heating leftovers. And making the skillet cookie! But we certainly couldn't go without our biggest one, for regular cooking!

    Sorry to take a few days to get back to your comment. I've been a bit...preoccupied, and my blog hasn't been getting all the attention it's used to! :)

    ReplyDelete