Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Tapioca Pudding

Last night when Jacob was here, I got a hankering for tapioca and mentioned said hankering, and he said he liked tapioca, but not to make any just for him, and "you don't really want to go in there and make anything else, do you?" I said no, not really, so we just kept sitting on the couch and I filed away the part about him liking tapioca. I do a lot of filing away these days...he doesn't care much for Altoids, wintergreen Life Savers are his favorite, but he doesn't even know I remember that, I'm sure. And he likes tapioca. :)

So anyway, for the past hour or so, I've been reading my archives on my old blog. That's how you know you're hurting for entertainment, when you have fun reading your own old posts. Here's the tapioca pudding recipe, originally posted July 21, 2011.

I love Tapioca Pudding. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be blogging about it. I mean, would it make any sense for me to blog about something and say “Gee, this is really nasty, and I can’t stand it, but you really should make it anyway.” Yeah…that would be rather crazy.

Anyway, the other evening at supper, it hit me all of the sudden that I wanted tapioca pudding. We’ve seriously cut back on desserts…Dad said he wasn’t eating dessert again until after their anniversary (August 13th) so without him eating dessert, we just don’t cook fancy desserts. It’s killing me! Tapioca is good for you though, and if you cut the sugar the tiniest bit, sugar doesn’t even make the top three ingredients! Dad still didn’t eat it, and Mom and I are the only ones that like it, other than Dad. The other boys here just don’t know what good food is, and that’s all there is to it! So, I took our regular recipe and cut it by 1/3! It just makes enough to two people then, and it’s best fresh.

So, I started out with 1 cup of milk. Raw, of course…until I boiled it, anyway.

 

Add 2 Tablespoons of tapioca…

 

A pinch of salt. Actually, it’s 1/3 of 1/4 teaspoon. I figured a pinch was ok.

 

Whisk all that together and bring it to a boil.

 

While it’s coming to a boil, I got 2 tablespoons (actually, about 1 1/2 is what I did) of sugar ready, and beat 1 egg.

 

 

I also buttered two of the little ramekin things. There is absolutely no reason to butter your dishes…I just wanted to get a little butter in the recipe somehow and that’s what I came up with. Weird, I know.

 

Now, the milk and tapioca is boiling. While it boils, add the sugar slowly and whisk and simmer for 5 minutes.

 

 

Now, after 5 minutes, slooooowly whisk in some of the milk into the beaten egg.

 

Now turn around and whisk the hot egg and milk mix back into the remaining milk mixture. You don’t have to literally turn around. That was just a figure of speech.

 

Now, boil over lowest possible heat for 5-10 minutes, until it’s almost as thick as you’d like it to be.

 

Oh, it just looks so thick and creamy and eggy and YUMMY!

 

Now set it aside to cool, for about 15 minutes.

 

After that, add in 1/3 of 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla. RIIIGHT. If you’re like me, you’ll add about a tablespoon.

 

Now spoon it into your dishes and consume joyously.

 

When we had all of our own animals, this would be so yellow and pretty. In the spring, when the cows were on all of the new grass, the cream would be so gorgeously yellow, and I’ve been known to use half milk and half cream making this. Also, the chickens out on the grass would lay eggs that were bright orange, so the combination of all of that…yum! We still have good eggs and milk…but it’s not our’s!

Make this tonight…you will NOT be sorry!

~Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment