Monday, November 21, 2011

Tea Cups

Originally written and posted July 25th, 2010.

Fun Fact of the Week:
No, this isn’t starting a new trend or anything, and I most likely won’t be posting a new fun fact about myself every week, but it was an interesting and catchy post title, so I took it.

I love pretty, dainty tea cups, and I love drinking hot tea out of them.

Did you know that about me? I used to have a few different delicate china tea cups, but over the years (and the additions of brothers,) one by one they all got smattered. I may have one packed away somewhere, but I don’t know where it would be. Come to think of it, Dave still owes me for one such cup he smashed….

When we were in Gettysburg, one of the sutlers had various lady-like goods, not all in direct relation to sleeping on the hard ground, or cooking over the open fire, or having layers of dust on your skin, or any of those other pleasant things related to reenacting. She had lacy handkerchiefs, kid gloves (that made me somewhat miffed…my big hands won’t go in any of those vintage gloves,) pretty jewelry, and lovely china tea cups. They were a good price, so I bought two white cups with saucers. The patterns on the two cups don’t quite match, but you can’t really tell, unless you look very close. They are gorgeous. I think maybe what draws me to them is the delicate femininty of them. I don’t get to enjoy a lot of that…I’m strong, and do what needs doing, and sometimes the things that need doing are not things that you’d picture a lady in a fancy tea dress doing. Not that they’re bad things, of course, just not….well, you know what I mean?

So, I’ve found that ending an evening with my knitting and a cup of hot tea in my fancy tea cup is the perfect way to end a day… I love coffee, and coffee’s a great way to start the day…gets you up and going. It’s even good in the middle of the day, and I’ve been known to down a Venti Caramel Frapp with extra espresso at 11PM before (A few years ago….I was on the way home from a bluegrass concert a long way from home…needed to stay awake!!!) but a hot cup of tea to end the day is prefectly divine! Oh, and coffee should be strong and bold…so you can’t really enjoy it out of a tea cup, anyway…coffee needs a mug.


I need to get back to that evening practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment